We attempted sushi using some of Doug’s tips and this recipe: http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiroll/r/californiaroll.htm – ginger and avocado are good for you, so we’re assuming this is too.
– Don’t cheap out on the ingredients, make sure they are real Japanese products.
– Rice Vinegar is important.
– If the Nori goes stale and mushy heat it over an element to crisp it up.
– Make sure the rice is warm (not hot) when you roll the sushi.
– Put plastic wrap on your bamboo mat so the rice doesn’t stick.
– Put mayo on the Nori to make everything stick together nicely.
– Use brand name Kikkoman soy sauce – it’s just better.
– You can roll the rice on the outside or inside!
Important rules to know (and possibly choose to break) before enjoying said sushi: